Chilli Pickled EggsPosted on in Recipes, Vegetarian & Soups
I’ve always loved pickled eggs since trying the slightly dubious ones that used to sit on bars in pubs next to dried bits of cheddar and pickled onions. Ive pimped these ones up a bit to give a real fiery kick. One tip id give you. Before you put the vinegar over the eggs in the jar just give it a taste. If its too sharp add more sugar or not savoury enough add more salt. If you want to blow peoples heads off whack in some bird eye chillies! Its up to you.
You will need:
650ml Distilled Malt Vinegar
200ml Cider Vinegar
2 tbs Sugar
1 tbs Sea Salt
1 tbs Pickling Spices
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 Long Red Chillies
1 tbs Dried Chilli Flakes
- In a deep pan of well salted boiling water add your eggs and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat then run under the cold tap for 2-3 minutes to cool.
- Put all of the vinegar and pickling mixture in to a pan apart from the whole chillies and bring to the boil before turning off and allowing to cool.
- Peel the eggs and place in a large Kilner or airtight jar. Pop in the two red chillies wherever you can fit them.
- Once the vinegar has cooled to room temperature pour over the eggs in to the jar. There will probably be some vinegar left over but don’t throw it away it will be great as a base for sweet and sour or turned in to a dipping sauce.
- Close the lid on the jar and place in the fridge for at least a week before trying the eggs but preferably 3-4 weeks.