Skate with Roast Chicken Butter Sauce and Fresh TrufflePosted on in Fish & Seafood, Recipes
Skate or Ray is not a fish many of us will regularly try but it’s very affordable and tastes great. The sauce is super rich but works well with the delicate tender fleshed fish. This recipe serves 2
You will need:
1 Bone in Skate Wing Portion
1 tbs Chicken Demi-Glass (or good quality fresh stock)
50ml White Wine
2 tbs Double Cream
Salt and Pepper
1. Firstly make the sauce. Gently sweat the shallot in a little oil until soft. Add in your white wine and allow to almost disappear. Take your Demi glacé and let down with 150ml of hot water.
2. Pour in to the pan with the shallots and add in your cream. Allow to cook for a few minutes to reduce by about half. Strain off to get rid of the shallots. Then place in to a sauce pan. Slowly add in cubes of butter. All the time whisking.
3. On a plate add 4-5 tbs of flour and season well with salt and white pepper. Dust both sides of the fish and tap off the excess. Heat a frying pan to a medium high. Add a little oil and place in the fish and cook on each side for around a minute just to get some good colour.
4. Put the fish in the oven for 7 minutes at 180 degrees. Take out and rest for a couple of minutes while you finish the sauce. Finely chop around a tablespoon of chives and add them to the sauce. Finally add in a few drops of lemon juice.
5. Place the fish on the plate and carefully pour over the sauce. Finish with some shaved truffle. Serve with some buttered baby new potatoes.