Lamb Rogan JoshPosted on in Beef, Lamb & Pork, Recipes
There are a few little tweaks to the traditional Rogan Josh with my version but this is a really lovely melt in the mouth slow cooked curry that is perfect for a cold Autumn evening. This recipe will serve 4.
You will need:
1 kg of diced lamb leg (Get your butcher to bone out half a leg from the rump end)
2 Large Onions
1 Large Red Pepper
6 Cloves of Garlic
1 Inch of Ginger
3 Red Chillies
3 Ripe Tomatoes
400g Chopped Tomatoes
3 tbs Grated Coconut
250 g Beef Stock
1/2 Cinnamon Stick
3 Cardamon Pods
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Tumeric
1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
200 ml Water
- In a food processer add the ginger, garlic, chillies and around a tablespoon of coriander stalks and blend until it is finely chopped. In a dry pan place the cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns and cardamom pods. Toast for a couple of minutes then grind up in a pestle and mortar until fine.
- Cut up your lamb and remove the excess fat. Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, turmeric and garam masala. Add a tsp of the minced garlic, chilli, ginger and coriander and allow to marinade for about an hour.
- Using the fat cut from the lamb render it down in a hot pan then take it out leaving the melted fat. Then add the finely sliced onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add the chilli, garlic, ginger and coriander and cook until the rawness has gone. Now add in all your ground spices.
- Add in the fresh tomatoes and red pepper. Add in your spices and tomato puree and stir for a minute. Add the water and cook until the tomatoes have softened. Add in the tinned tomatoes and simmer.
- Brown the meat and add to the sauce.
- Cover the pan with 2 layers of tinfoil and cook in the oven for 2 hours at 180 degrees. Make sure you pierce a couple of holes in the foil to let the steam out.
- Remove from the oven, take the foil off and cook on the hob for a final 15 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce. Add in some fresh coriander leaves then serve with naan bread and top with a little fresh coconut and some greek yoghurt.