Red Pepper Tomato and Chilli Soup with Basil Pesto and Gruyere CroutonPosted on in European, Low Calorie, Recipes, Vegetarian & Soups
I don’t often choose soup if I’m eating out but occasionally its great to have a warm bowl at home with some nice bread for dunking. This recipe makes enough for about 8 people.
You will need:
For the Soup:
1 Large Onion
Bulb of Garlic
5 Red Chillies
300g Vine Tomatoes
450g Roasted Red Peppers (buy them ready roasted in a jar)
500ml Veg Stock
300ml Chicken Stock (if you want the soup to be vegetarian just add more vegetable stock)
2 Tbs Tomato Puree
For the Pesto
50g Pine Nuts
80g Fresh Basil
150ml Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Pinch of salt and pepper
- First her the oven to around 150 degrees. Slice each tomato in half and place on a baking tray with the chillies and the whole bulb of garlic (wrap the garlic in tin foil and drizzle over a little olive oil and a pinch of salt. Make sure each cut side of the tomato has a pinch of salt on a a little olive oil. Cook in the oven for around an hour. Take the garlic our after around 40 minutes
- While the tomatoes are cooking finely dice the onion and gently sweat off in a little olive oil until they are soft and just beginning to colour.
- Prepare your pesto by firstly lightly toasting the pine nuts in a dry pan then placing all the ingredients in a blender and pulsing until smooth.
- Once the tomatoes and chillies are cooked take all the pulp from the garlic and the onion and place in a blender with the tomatoes and chilli. You can deseed the chillies of you don’t want quite as much heat. Add your roasted red peppers and blend until smooth.
- Add the blended mixture back in to a large deep pan and add the tomato puree, passata and stock. Stir well and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Add some salt a pinch of sugar and some white pepper to taste.
- To make your crouton toast one side on the mini baguette then cover with the grated gruyere and place back under the grill for a couple pf minutes. Finally scatter over a few finely chopped chives.
- To serve carefully ladle in the soup to the bowl then drizzle a little of the pesto and some double cream. Finally top with the crouton]