Roast Grouse with Caramelised Pears, Pancetta and Celeriac PureePosted on in European, Poultry & Game, Recipes
I love Autumn for produce so I put together this recipe to celebrate the season. Ok so Grouse isn’t for everyone so if you’d rather go for Pheasant or even Chicken that’s fine.
1 Whole Grouse
1 Head of Celeriac
100ml Double Cream
300g Chicken Stock
2 Banana Shallots
1. Chop and peal the celeriac and poach in milk until tender. Drain off the milk and place in a blender with the cream and butter until completely smooth. Season with salt and white pepper and set aside until needed.
2. Set your stock away in a pan with some finely chopped shallot, half a garlic clove and a sprig of thyme. You need to reduce it by about 2 thirds or until the sauce will coat the back of your spoon. When it has reduce enough strain and finish with a knob of butter and a teaspoon of clear honey.
3. Prepare the grouse by seasoning the cavity with salt and pepper. Add half a shallot a knob of butter and a sprig of thyme. Rub the skin with olive oil and season with a little sea salt. Roast in the oven on 180 degrees for 25 minutes for medium/rare. Once its done allow to rest for about 10 minutes before carefully removing the breasts by cutting slowly down the backbone.
4. To caramelise the pears peel and core the pears. Cut them in to wedges and fry in a little olive oil butter and a tablespoon of honey. Season with a little salt. Cook until a golden brown and the pear has softened.
5. Re-heat the celeriac puree then in a frying pan add your pancetta and baby mushooms until the pancetta is nice and crispy.
6. To plate up put a circle of the puree in the middle of the plate. Sit the grouse on top and add the pears, mushrooms and pancetta then dress with your sauce.