Saag Paneer (Spinach and Indian Cheese Curry)Posted on in Asian, Recipes, Vegetarian & Soups
It’s not often I do anything vegetarian but I’m aware such people exist. This is a healthy meat free curry that is good as a starter or a main course.
1 Large White Chopped Onion
3 Large Tomatoes Blanched, Skinned and chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 Inch Grated Ginger
1 tbs Tomato Puree
1 Green Chilli
1 Tbs Garam Masala (see recipe)
225g Paneer (you can use Halloumi if you cant get it)
1. In a frying pan season then sweat off the onion until they start to take on a little colour. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and then the spices. After a couple of minutes add the tomato puree and stir in. Finally add the tomatoes and water and cover with tinfoil and cook for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are fully broken down. Taste and season if required.
2. In salted water blanch the spinach for a couple of minutes then refresh in cold water. Drain well and squeeze to get rid of excess water. Place in a blender with a pinch of salt and pepper then blitz. Set aside until needed.
3. Take your curry mix and blend in a mixer until not quite smooth, just so the mix retains a little texture.
4. Spoon in the curry to the spinach and cook in a pan on a medium heat for a few minutes. Meanwhile dice your paneer in to bite sized pieces and griddle the cheese for a minute or so on each side.
5. Place the curry mix on the bottom of the plate and top with the cheese. Finally drizzle with a little olive oil.