ShakshukaPosted on in Recipes, Vegetarian & Soups
Well I can’t believe it but here’s another vegetarian dish. Im like a modern day Linda McCartney! Shakshuka is an Arabic dish of eggs and tomatoes with some spices and chillies. My version isn’t traditional but you lucky people you get two recipes for the price of one with this. The first being just the best chilli and red pepper sauce that goes with everything!!
This recipe will make enough sauce for 3-4 people.
You will need:
For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
1 Jar of roasted red peppers
1 Whole bulb of garlic
4 red chillies
3 Echalion Shallots
1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
8 Cherry Tomatoes
5 tbs Olive Oil
For the Shakshuka
1 1/2 tins of Chopped Tomatoes
1 Red Chilli
1 Clove of Garlic
1 Large Red Pepper
- To make the roast pepper sauce take the shallots, garlic, chillies and tomatoes and place on a baking tray. Drizzle over plenty of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Take the stalks off the chillies and peel the shallots. Cut the garlic bulb in half and squeeze out all the pulp. Place it all in a food processor and add the roasted peppers, olive oil and balsamic. Season well with salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth. Taste to check seasoning and add more if needed. Trust me this sauce is great with meat, poultry or fish.
- Cut your remaining shallots lengthways then peel and slice lengthways in to long strips. Cut your pepper in to long strips and slice the chillies and garlic. Heat a pan with a little olive oil. Cook off the veggies until the onions are nice and soft. Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir. At this point id say how much of the sauce you add is up to you. Try adding half first then taste. If you’d like more of a kick then add more. Cook for 3-4 minutes then make little wells in the sauce and drop in your eggs. Keep cooking on a medium heat and cover for a few minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- If you really can’t be bothered with that then just fry the eggs to your liking and then drop in the sauce for a couple of minutes.
- Finally scatter over some fresh coriander and serve with the nicest bread you can buy!