Spiced Cod with Chana DalPosted on in Asian, Fish & Seafood, Low Calorie, Recipes
Chana Dal is one of those dishes thats just good anytime of year but with colder Autumn and Winter nights ahead its a great warming dish thats packed with protein and really good for you. Ive made a couple of little adjustments to traditional Dal so it doesn’t take you hours to make! To make this purely veggie just miss out the fish.
You will need:
Cod Fillet (Skin removed)
2 x 400g Napolina Tinned Lentils
4 Medium Tomatoes
4 Eschallion Shallots
2 Green Chillies
1 Clove Garlic
1 tbs Tomato Puree
1 tbs Ginger Puree
1 tbs Garlic Puree
Salt and Pepper
- Finely Slice your shallots and gently fry in a little oil until just beginning to turn golden. While the onions cook chop your tomatoes and slice the clove of garlic. Add the sliced garlic and your ginger, tomato and garlic puree. Finely chop around a tablespoon of fresh coriander and add to the pan. Stir for 1 minute then add 1 tbs of curry powder and stir again for around 1 minute.
- Add your tomatoes and then empty the lentils from the tin in to a bowl and half fill the tin with water then pour in.
- Cook the mixture for a couple of minutes until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add your lentils and stir. Add a little more water so you have a thick soup consistency. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook for around 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season your cod with salt then dust one side with the curry powder. Place the fish curried side down in a frying pan in a little oil and cook half way through on that side. Turn the fish and cook for a further couple of minutes. Set aside and rest in the pan.
- Take a couple of knob of butter and stir in to the lentils then finally add some fresh coriander.
- Place the dal in the bottom of the plate then top with the fish.